There is a variety of benefits to revamping your wardrobes, such as boosting your confidence by trying out new clothing or accessories. But the journey to improving your style can be difficult – especially if you do not know where to begin looking.
Here are some ways you can improve your style:
- Wear colors that suit you
- Add special jewelry
- Try on new clothes that are out of your comfort zone
- Take notes
- Incorporate statement pieces
It can be hard, but it’s definitely doable. Let’s break down each step to help you learn how to upgrade your style.
- Wear Colors That Suit You
Finding colors that flatter you based on your skin, hair, and eye color will help you look your best. The colors will help you feel rested with a youthful glow to your skin. A color palette is the easiest way to figure out what colors are best suited for you. Here are four basic season classifications that you can use to analyze different colors:
- Medium or light colors: these colors are good with a cool undertone and muted shades during the summers.
- Rich, warm, medium: these are good for autumn.
- Cool, bright, deep, or icy: these colors are good with pastels for the winter, such as jewel tones of rubies, sapphires, and emeralds.
- Warm, bright, and light to medium: These are good for the spring.
Finding the color of your skin tone can be difficult, but the way to tell if your skin tone is warm or cool is by looking at the underside of your arm in natural daylight and if you have:
- With a pink or rosy undertone and blue-tinted veins, then you have a cool skin tone.
- A golden or apricot undertone with green-tinted veins, then you have a warm skin tone.
With a cool skin tone, the colors with blue undertones will best suit you, and with warm skin tones, the yellow-based hues will best flatter you. Looking at a color palette will help distinguish all the colors that are best for your skin color.
- Add Special Jewelry
Adding special jewelry is an easy way to elevate your style. Remember, it doesn’t need to be expensive, and you could even go to a thrift store, eBay, Amazon, Target, or any other place to buy jewelry. Find jewelry that is bold or colorful instead of things that are commonly worn. Here are some jewelry style tips on what to use and how to use them:
- Layering rings: You can mix, match, and stack them in all different combinations
- Layering necklaces: go for different lengths of necklaces to draw the eye up to your face and find different shapes, colors, and textures.
- Layering bangles and bracelets: you can add different pieces that will flash and jangle as you move.
- Earrings: choose earrings that will frame your face and compliment your hair, eye color, and skin tone. If you have long hair, you could select a color or metal finish that will make it more visible depending on the color of your hair.
- Experiment mixing metals: find jewelry that contrasts with the color of the chains and combine different metals with adding a vibrant interest and color.
Try picking out the outfit first and then find jewelry and accessories that match with it. This will enhance your outfit and help you to stand out in a crowd.
- Try on New Clothes That Are Out of Your Comfort Zone
When shopping, we usually move towards clothes and accessories that we are comfortable with. However, trying on items that you haven’t tried before can help you find something you didn’t think you would like but ended up loving it yourself. It can also help you learn what you do not, too, so you can stay away from that type of item. Everyone is different, and what might work for someone else may not work for you , but you don’t know unless you try.
You can pair new items with your go-to basics at first to get the hang of trying something new. This will help you to feel more confident about going out of your comfort zone. Once you feel more comfortable, you can work your way up to adding more pieces into your style.
One tip to get used to wearing new pieces is by trying them on around strangers first. Sometimes people feel self-conscious around people they already know, so you feel more comfortable and wear new things around strangers because this will help you feel better about yourself. Just act like you always dress that way, and no one will know and then once you are comfortable, go in front of your friends and family.
- Take Notes
Taking notes of what you like and what you don’t like is really important because it will help you remember what to buy and not buy. Also, take notes of what you like about someone else’s outfit and what caught your eye because those elements are something you could try out yourself and see if it works for you too. Take notes on the:
- The colors of the outfit
- The coat they had on
- The boots or shoes
- The handbag
- The scarf
- The skirt or pants
- The dress
Taking notes on these aspects will help you keep track of the things you are attracted to while helping you build your style and expand your style boundaries.
- Incorporate Statement Pieces
Statement pieces help bring out the best to your wardrobe and help you stand out in a crowd. When wanting to stand out, you need essential eye-catching elements. There are various clothing items you can incorporate into your style, such as:
- A bright or patterned shoe/heel to enhance your outfit.
- A fur coat or jacket to keep you warm and add color and texture.
- A blazer to make you look professional, clean-cut, and pop out with color.
- A purse or clutch to add dimension and color.
- Bottoms that have either bright colors or patterns.
- A blouse to add pattern and color to make you look clean and classy.
- A vest to keep you warm while making you look business casual.
When wearing these statement pieces, it is best to wear all black, all white, white and black, or jeans to make sure nothing clashes, so you look clean-cut and fashionable. You could even put on a simple outfit and add a statement piece to it, and then the outfit will not look simple anymore. It’s as easy as that because statement pieces are the first thing noticed about your outfit.
What should I avoid when improving my style?
There are definitely some things to avoid when upgrading your style, such as don’t always go with the trends because what is in style at that moment might go out of style. Instead, focus on what suits you and makes you feel confident. Another thing to remember is that not everything needs to be expensive because you can make an outfit look expensive with pieces you have gotten from the thrift store.
If you are going for an oversized look, make sure it does not look slouchy by tucking in your shirt because this will add elegance to a basic outfit. Remember to always try on pants before buying them to make sure that they fit you right.
Don’t have too many colors at once because they can end up clashing. Try not to wear more than two or more different prints simultaneously and avoid repeating the same outfit.